Lonely Runs Both Ways
Elsewhere $31.58 $27.97 Save 11%
Price includes NZ wide delivery!
Order now for Christmas delivery
- Alison Krauss & Union Station: Alison Krauss; Ron Block (vocals); Barry Bales (bass instrument, background vocals); Dan Tyminski, Jerry Douglas .
- Personnel: Alison Krauss (vocals, fiddle, viola); Dan Tyminski (vocals, baritone, guitar, mandolin); Barry Bales (tenor, bass voice); Ron Block (guitar, slide guitar, banjo); Jerry Douglas (lap steel guitar, dobro).
- Audio Mixer: Gary Paczosa.
- Recording information: 17 Grand Recording, Nashville, TN; Blackbrid Studio; Minutia Recording Studio.
- Photographer: Norman Jean Roy.
- In a world where popular country music has lost much of its roots, Alison Krauss stands out among the pack because she remains true to the bluegrass traditions of Bill Monroe, Earl Scruggs, Lester Flatt, and others. However, more than just a revivalist, Krauss also has an unerring ear for elegant pop music.
- LONELY RUNS BOTH WAYS features, essentially, two types of music--burning-hot bluegrass compositions and delicate, heartrending country ballads. On the latter, Krauss's gossamer voice sears with deep emotion and lyrical clarity. For example, the last song on the album, "A Living Prayer," is a gospel lullaby featuring Krauss belting out long, legato notes over austere acoustic guitar accompaniment. In contrast, the instrumental piece "Unionhouse Branch" explores traditional Americana. Each Union Station member is featured on this track, and the level of technical skill displayed by these musicians (particularly by dobro player Jerry Douglas) is truly astounding. In many ways, this band represents a pinnacle in modern bluegrass. As for Krauss, her fiddle playing is understated on this release, but her beautifully penetrating voice more than makes up for it.
Professional ReviewsEntertainment Weekly (p.117) - "[A] beautiful meditation on heartbreak." - Grade: B+
Uncut (p.128) - 4 stars out of 5 - "Fifteen immaculately crafted songs played with a subtle, note-perfect touch....With LONELY RUNS BOTH WAYS she has helmed one of the finest Americana albums of 2004."
Down Beat (p.72) - 3 stars out of 5 - "Krauss' keenly ethereal voice is at the center of the disc....Gorgeous stuff..."
Mojo (Publisher) (p.102) - 3 stars out of 5 - "Here the hymns are innocent and pretty, the lost-love ballads pensively downbeat rather than murderously wretched. Even the Gillian Welch cover sounds sweetly country."
|Producer:||Alison Krauss And Union Station; Alison Krauss And Union Station|
|Format:||CD (1 Disc); Stereo|
|Release Date:||23 March, 2009|
Tell a friend
I didn't possess any albums of bluegrass music, nor did I know anything about Alison Krauss but bought this album on faith, based on the notes on-line. Well, what a musical treat it turned out to be! Alison has a clear, sweetly toned voice, and her backing group, Union Station, capture that quintessential bluegrass sound so well. Their instrumentation to me is exceptional and several lively tracks are devoted to them. The theme of this album is that of personal loss and loneliness after relationship failure, which Alison understands and emotes convincingly. You need to listen a couple of times to get into it but the music and the message just captivated me after that! I've played the disc every other day and don't think it will ever lose its appeal, for me anyway.
Alison Krauss does it again, with another fantastic album along with the Union Station. As hoped, Alison features in the majority of songs with some lovely ballads, supported by talented musicians. What a voice! Can recommend this one!
This is the rare CD that doesn't end up back on the shelf a month after it comes home. I've returned to it time & again over the past couple years. Alison's amazing vocals & the band's rich sound get me every time, and this album's theme rings true. Lines such as "when are you coming back to town? ... when all God needs is gravity to hold me down" and "only problem is I can't find nobody as crazy as me" sparkle from every track.
This CD doesn't just grown on you, you WANT to listen to it over & over. Alison Krauss' voice soars & tugs on the heart strings; the band makes even the cover songs their own. Each track is a gem on its own, but packaged around the theme of loneliness they form a beautifully crafted story.
Review this Product
Webmasters, Bloggers & Website Owners
You can earn a 5% commission by selling Lonely Runs Both Ways on your website.
It's easy to get started - we will give you example code. After you're set-up, your website can earn you money while you work, play or even sleep!
Are you the Author/Publisher? Improve sales by submitting additional information on this title.
This item ships from and is sold by Fishpond.com, Inc.