Elsewhere $24.43 $11.99 Save $12.44 (51%)
Price includes NZ wide delivery!
Order now for Christmas delivery
- Blues Traveler: John Popper (vocals, guitar, harmonica); Chan Kinchla (acoustic & electric guitars, mandolin, background vocals); Bobby Sheehan (bass, background vocals); Brendan Hill (drums, percussion).
- Additional personnel: Jono Manson (vocals); Warren Haynes (guitar); Peter Malcolm Kavakavich (tambora, shruti box); Chuck Leavell, Paul Shaffer (keyboards); Bashiri Johnson (percussion).
- Producers: Steve Thompson, Michael Barbiero.
- Recorded at Bearsville Studios, Woodstock, New York.
- "Run-Around" won a 1996 Grammy Award for Best Rock Performance By A Duo Or Group With Vocal.
- Personnel: John Popper (vocals, guitar, harmonica); Jono Manson (vocals); Warren Haynes (guitar); Chan Kinchla (acoustic guitar, electric guitar, mandolin, background vocals); Chuck Leavell (piano, keyboards); Paul Shaffer (keyboards); Brendan Hill (drums, percussion); Bashiri Johnson (percussion); Bobby Sheehan (background vocals).
- Recording information: Bearsville Sound Studios, New York, NY; Electric Lady, New York, NY.
- Unknown Contributor Role: Peter Malcolm Kavakavich.
- Already established as a reputable act due to years of drop-dead touring, FOUR is the album that has broken Blues Traveler through to widespread popularity, becoming their first best-seller. Singer John Popper's frenetic harp coupled with guitarist Chan Kinchla's chicken-scratch rhythm playing make for a potent one-two punch that goes far in distinguishing Blues Traveler from the hordes of similar "Grateful Dead Baby Bands" that have cropped up in recent years. And while the band still retains that musical formula, FOUR explores other levels of their organic boogie.
- Scaling back the over-extended jams of their previous records, Blues Traveler has returned as a much leaner unit. Opening with the airy "Run-Around," FOUR dabbles with pretty ballads ("Look Around") as well as more upbeat and sunny fare ("Hook"). Guest Warren Haynes' guitar playing gives "The Mountain Wins Again" a heavy Allman Brothers flavor, and Paul Shaffer's funky organ fills on "Stand" tango with Popper's scat-like vocal delivery.
- The road is still Blues Traveler's true calling--it is, after all, where they became the dynamic musical force they are today. But for a studio album made by an acknowledged live band, FOUR makes for one helluva rest stop.
Professional ReviewsEntertainment Weekly (9/30/94, p.60) - "...None of it takes you any-place new, but the relaxed production and John Popper's fluid harmonica jive help to make FOUR a pleasant trip..." - Rating: B+
|Format:||CD (1 Disc); Stereo|
|Release Date:||12 May, 1995|
|Guest Artist: ||Chuck Leavell; Warren Haynes; Paul Shaffer|
3. Look Around
5. The Mountains Win Again
7. Crash Burn
8. Price To Pay
10. The Good, The Bad, And The Ugly
11. Just Wait
12. Brother John
Tell a friend
Four stars for an above-average studio album from an excellent live band. I tend not to listen much to the studio albums of bands that are known for their live shows, but recently rediscovered this one in my archives and enjoyed it. Not too many Blues Traveler songs are catchy, but certainly "Run Around" is and to some extent "Hook." When "Hook" first started getting radio time in the mid-nineties, I noticed it sounded very familiar but was not sure why. Then it came to: It is Pachelbel's Canon in D. It is. Same exact chords, slightly different melody. I made this observation once at work, when it first struck me, back in my file clerking days (KBCO on softly in the background), and- I swear- my boss said: "Well they better watch out, Pachelbel is going to sue them." She wasn't trying to make a joke. I had to bite the inside of my cheek to keep it together.
This is a good album. Popper is a tremendous harp player so, for those of you that don't get the extended jamming thing, their studio albums may be the most palatable way to experience it. Thumbs up.
Review this Product
Webmasters, Bloggers & Website Owners
You can earn a 5% commission by selling Four on your website.
It's easy to get started - we will give you example code. After you're set-up, your website can earn you money while you work, play or even sleep!
Are you the Author/Publisher? Improve sales by submitting additional information on this title.
This item ships from and is sold by Fishpond.com, Inc.