1. Introduction to Second Language Pragmatics
2. Language production: The conceptual background
3. L2 pragmatic production: Data elicitation methods
4. Language comprehension and awareness: Conceptual background
5. Data Elicitation Methods in L2 Pragmatic Comprehension and Awareness
6. Interaction: Conceptual background
7. Data elicitation methods in L2 Pragmatic Interaction
8. ConclusionsGlossary References Index
Jonathan Culpeper is Professor of English Language and Linguistics at Lancaster University. His publications include Impoliteness: Using Language to Cause Offence (2011) and Pragmatics and the English Language (2014; with Michael Haugh). Until recently, he was Co-Editor-in-Chief of the Journal of Pragmatics. Alison Mackey is Professor of Linguistics at Georgetown University and Lancaster University. She is currently Editor-in-Chief of the Annual Review of Applied Linguistics. She is the co-editor of the Mildenberger prize-winning The Routledge Handbook of Second Language Acquisition (2012; with Susan M. Gass). Naoko Taguchi is Professor in the Modern Languages Department at Carnegie Mellon University. She has authored/co-authored several books, including Second Language Pragmatics (2017) and Developing Interactional Competence in a Japanese Study Abroad Context (2015). She is the co-editor of a new journal, Applied Pragmatics.
"[A]n exceptionally valuable asset to the field, reviewing the existing methodologies and putting forward innovative methodologies along with their appropriate data collection methods for production and comprehension, an almost overlooked side of the continuum. ... All in all, Second Language Pragmatics: From Theory to Practice is of exquisite quality, making it, undoubtedly, one of the most invaluable recent publications within the realm of L2 pragmatics."
Zohreh R. Eslami, Texas A&M University and Ali Derakhshan, Golestan University, in Intercultural Pragmatics 16(5)