Commemorative Preface by Eric E. Peterson
Preface to the Second Edition
1. What Makes You Think You Can Race Against Horses?
4. I'm Only a Boy!
5. Don't for a Minute Believe the Lies
6. Go to the Potter's House
7. Pashur Whipped Jeremiah
8. This Ever Worsening Wound
9. Twenty-Three Years It's Been
10. Get a Scroll and Write
11. The Recabite Community
12. To All the Exiles
13. Guard . . . King . . . Official
14. I Bought the Field at Anathoth
15. Regarding the Godless Nations
16. No One Will Escape the Doom
Eugene H. Peterson (1932-2018) was a pastor, scholar, author, and poet. He wrote more than thirty books, including his widely acclaimed paraphrase of the Bible, The Message: The Bible in Contemporary Language, his memoir, The Pastor, and the bestselling spiritual formation classic A Long Obedience in the Same Direction. Peterson was founding pastor of Christ Our King Presbyterian Church in Bel Air, Maryland, where he served for twenty-nine years before retiring in 1991. With degrees from Seattle Pacific, New York Theological Seminary, and Johns Hopkins University, he served as professor of spiritual theology at Regent College in Vancouver, British Columbia, until retiring in Lakeside, Montana, in 2006.