The very first picture book about the remarkable and inspiring story of the Gay Pride Flag.
ROB SANDERS is a writer who teaches, and a teacher who
writes. He is the author of Cowboy Christmas, Crystal
Kite-winner Outer Space Bedtime Race, Ruby Rose - Off to
School She Goes, Ruby Rose - Big Bravos, and
Rodzilla. Pride The Story of Harvey Milk and the Rainbow
Flag is Rob's first non-fiction picture book. Rob lives in
Florida where he teaches elementary school.Visit him at
STEVEN SALERNOis the author/illustrator of Coco the Carrot,Little Tumbo, Harry Hungry!,Wild Child, andTim's Goodbye.He has also illustrated 24 popular picture books including Brothers at Bat(a New York Times Book Review's Notable Picture Book of the Year), The Kid from Diamond Street, The Fantastic Ferris Wheel,Goldenlocks and the Three Pirates, 19 Girls and Me,and Margaret Wise Brown'sThe Dirty Little Boy.A graduate of Parsons School of Design in NYC, helives and works in Manhattan. Visit him atstevensalerno.com
PRAISE FOR PRIDE! A Junior Library Guild Selection
"Pride is a beacon of (technicolor) light."
- Entertainment Weekly "An essential LGBTQ children's book"
"This children's book about gay Pride should be in every school."
- Gay Times Magazine "The picture book about Harvey Milk and the Rainbow Flag is everything you needed as a kid."
- LGBTQ Nation "I couldn't be more thrilled the world now has this book."
- Dustin Lance Black, Academy Award-winning screenwriter of MILK "This inspiring, positive story is a great introduction to two LGBTQ heroes and to the spirit of the LGBTQ community."
- Pridesource.com "A welcome social history . . . Mission accomplished."
- The San Francisco Chronicle "A children's book that will properly express the struggle and joys that the LGBTQ rights movement went through."
- Instinct Magazine "Offers little ones an age-appropriate introduction . . . Ebullient . . ."
- Shelf Awareness, starred review "An uplifting introduction to the symbol of the Rainbow Flag . . . Vibrant and lively . . . Recommended for all collections."
- School Library Journal "A biography LGBTQ rights activists and allies can proudly share with children . . . A hope-filled ode to the rainbow flag."
- Kirkus Reviews "A poignant and uplifting biography."
- Publisher's Weekly "A tribute to a leader undertreated in young people's literature."
-The Bulletin of the Center For Children's Books
"Salerno's strong art has a colorful seventies vibe . . . There is value here."
- Booklist "Pride: The Story of Harvey Milk and The Rainbow Flag beautifully tells the history of both Uncle Harvey's dream and his collaboration with Gilbert Baker to create a global symbol of equality and inclusion. This book tells a history that all children will cherish, and will inspire the next generation of hope givers, our world's youth"
- Stuart Milk, Founder and President of the Harvey Milk Foundation "Harvey Milk and Gilbert Baker showed LGBTQ people that they should be proud of who they are and who they love. That is exactly what we do at The Trevor Project for LGBTQ youth in crisis. We're thrilled that more young people will learn the story behind the original rainbow flag."
- Amit Paley, Trevor Project CEO and Executive Director