Preface to the Second Edition.
Preface to the First Edition.
1. Electrons, photons and atoms.
2. The elements of quantum mechanics.
3. One-electron atoms.
4. Interaction of one-electron atoms with electomagnetic radiation.
5. One-electron atoms: fine structure and hyperfine structure.
6. Interaction of one-electron atoms with external electric and magnetic fields.
7. Two-electron atoms.
8. Many-electron atoms.
9. Interaction of many-electron atoms with electromagnetic radiation and with static electric and magnetic fields.
10. Molecular structure.
11. Molecular spectra.
12. Atomic collisions: basic concepts and potential scattering.
13. Electron-atom collisions and atomic photoionisation.
14. Atom-atom collisions.
15. Masers, lasers and their interaction with atoms and molecules.
16. Further developments and applications of atomic and molecular physics.