Introduction: Secularity or the Post-Secular Condition
1. Carlyle and Carlile: Late Romantic Skepticism and Early Radical Freethought
2. The Principles of Geology: A Secular Fissure in Scientific Knowledge
3. Holyoake and Secularism: the Emergence of 'Positive' Freethought
4. Secularizing Science: Secularism and the Emergence of Scientific Naturalism
5. The Three Newmans: A Triumvirate of Secularity
6. George Eliot: The Secular Sublime, Post-secularism, and 'Secularization'
Epilogue: Secularism as Modern Secularity
Michael Rectenwald is Professor of Global Liberal Studies at New York University, USA. He is editor of Global Secularisms in A Post-Secular Age (2015) and Academic Writing, Real World Topics (2015). He has published essays on secularism in The British Journal for the History of Science, The International Philosophical Quarterly, and George Eliot in Context.