Commemorative Preface by Leif Peterson
1. Discipleship: "What Makes You Think You Can Race Against Horses?"
2. Repentance: "I'm Doomed to Live in Meshech"
3. Providence: "God Guards You from Every Evil"
4. Worship: "Let's Go to the House of God"
5. Service: "Like Servants . . . We're Watching and Waiting"
6. Help: "Oh, Blessed Be God! He Didn't Go Off and Leave Us"
7. Security: "God Encircles His People"
8. Joy: "We Laughed, We Sang"
9. Work: "If GOD Doesn't Build the House"
10. Happiness: "Enjoy the Blessing! Revel in the Goodness!"
11. Perseverance: "They Never Could Keep Me Down"
12. Hope: "I Pray to GOD . . . and Wait for What He'll Say and Do"
13. Humility: "I've Kept My Feet on the Ground"
14. Obedience: "How He Promised GOD"
15. Community: "Like Costly Anointing Oil Flowing Down Head and Beard"
16. Blessing: "Lift Your Praising Hands"
A Long Obedience: Epilogue
Eugene H. Peterson (1932-2018) was a pastor, scholar, author, and poet. He wrote more than thirty books, including his widely acclaimed paraphrase of the Bible, The Message: The Bible in Contemporary Language, his memoir, The Pastor, and numerous works of biblical spiritual formation, including Run with the Horses, also available in a commemorative edition. Peterson was founding pastor of Christ Our King Presbyterian Church in Bel Air, Maryland, where he served for twenty-nine years before retiring in 1991. With degrees from Seattle Pacific, New York Theological Seminary, and Johns Hopkins University, he served as professor of spiritual theology at Regent College in Vancouver, British Columbia, until retiring in Lakeside, Montana, in 2006.
"A wonderful book, one of the very best guides to the Psalms. Peterson's combination of passion and insight match the psalmists'. And he is very nearly as good a writer!"--Tim Stafford, author of Knowing the Face of God