Doniphan County History
Excerpt from Doniphan County History: A Record of the Happenings of Half a Hundred Years The name of the township was chosen by A. H. Dunning, one of the first county commissioners, who wished to assist in perpetuating the memory of a great Revolutionary hero. The township was organized on September 1, 1855, together with four other townships. It has its share of the rough land which Nature gave to Doniphan county; nevertheless, the land has been utilized for orchard and vineyard and pasture, and has contributed largely to the wealth of the county. Since its organization two changes have been made in its boundary lines, the first being made in October, 1856, to admit Marion into the sisterhood of townships; the second in June, 1859, which left it with the present boundaries. The land is drained by three principal streams-Independence, Rock, and Brush creeks. Fragments. A few of the very first settlers: In 1852, J. F Forman and Josephus Utt; in 1854, J. W. Forman, B. S. Whorton, John Stanliff, Dr. R. H. Hereford and John Tracy; in 1855-6, William Shaw, Geo. Waller, Dr. Hudnall, David Lee, Dick Vest, Col. A. G. Ege, Silas Loyd, W. K. Leddington and John Harding. The first marriage ceremony was performed by Rev. J. Devorse of Rushville, Mo., the contracting parties being Dr. Hereford and Amanda Tracy. The ceremony was performed in 1854, at the home of the bride's father on Rock creek, near the present site of Brenner. About the Publisher Forgotten Books publishes hundreds of thousands of rare and classic books. Find more at www.forgottenbooks.com This book is a reproduction of an important historical work. Forgotten Books uses state-of-the-art technology to digitally reconstruct the work, preserving the original format whilst repairing imperfections present in the aged copy. In rare cases, an imperfection in the original, such as a blemish or missing page, may be replicated in our edition. We do, however, repair the vast majority of imperfections successfully; any imperfections that remain are intentionally left to preserve the state of such historical works.