A hip, accessible guide to batch cocktail-making for entertaining, with 65 recipes that can be made hours--or weeks!--ahead of time so that hosts and hostesses have one less thing to worry about as the doorbell rings.
MAGGIE HOFFMAN is the author of The One-Bottle Cocktail. She writes about cocktails, wine, and beer for the James Beard Award-winning website Serious Eats, where she founded the drinks section in 2011 and served as managing editor. Hoffman has written for Wine Enthusiast, the San Francisco Chronicle, and San Francisco magazine, as well as the websites of Saveur, Food & Wine, and others. She lives in San Francisco with her husband, daughter, and more than a few bottles of booze.
"Weekend entertainers and professional bartenders alike will
benefit from this book; it's an outstanding collection for all
tastes and occasions."
-- Publishers Weekly, Starred Review
"After years of writing about drinks and mixing them herself,
Maggie Hoffman's shared tips, tricks and recipes from trendsetting
bartenders all over the country in this beautifully-photographed
handbook for hosts. Maggie's done the math, so pick a recipe by
flavor profile or occasion and follow her insightful directions to
scale it up into a batch, so you can sit down and savor your
handiwork once the cocktail hour commences."
-- JIM MEEHAN, author of Meehan's Bartender Manual and The PDT Cocktail Book "There is nothing more relaxing than having a drink among friends, especially when everyone is sipping the same thing--the shared experience of trying something new is a great conversation starter. This beautiful collection of recipes has me itching to throw a party just for an excuse to make a few pitchers full."
- STELLA PARKS, James Beard award-winning author of Bravetart "As Trader Vic himself once said, 'Spend time with your guests--not making mixed drinks.' In her new book, Maggie gives you dozens of delicious ways to free yourself from behind the bar and become the host with the most! With these recipes and techniques at your disposal, you'll soon find yourself famous for both your charming fetes AND witty banter!"
- MARTIN CATE, James Beard Award-winning author and owner of Smuggler's Cove San Francisco. Praise for The One-Bottle Cocktail
"It's a book that will at once simplify your entertaining while simultaneously making it so much more rewarding."
- J. Kenji Lopez-Alt, author of The Food Lab
"Consult this booze bible for easy new twists on classic summer cocktails."
- Cosmopolitan "These recipes bring two of my favorite food trends into the world of drinking: simplicity and seasonality. If I want a drink that requires twelve obscure spirits, I'll order it at a bar. This book is coming with me to the farmers' market."
- Ari Shapiro, host of NPR's All Things Considered "This is the kind of book that every home cocktail-maker should keep on their shelf."
- Niki Achitoff-Gray, Serious Eats "These inexpensive, easy recipes will make cocktail drinkers out of the non-believers."
- Epicurious "These are professional-grade tricks that can help even the most entry-level home bartender put a culinary cocktail in everyone's hand."
- Jeffrey Morgenthaler, author of The Bar Book