1. Alfred's Wessex.
2. Memories of Childhood, 848-858.
3. Scourges of God, 858-868.
4. A Very Great Warrior, 869-879.
5. King of the Anglo-Saxons, 880-891.
6. Defence of the Realm.
7. The reign of Solomon.
8. The Practice of Kingship.
9. Triumph and Death, 892-899.
Conclusion: `My Memory in Good Works'.
Appendix on the Authenticity of Asser's Life of King Alfred.
Table: Alfred's Genealogy.
RICHARD ABELS is Professor of History at the U.S. Naval Academy, Annapolis.
'...based on wide knowledge, and not infrequent reconsideration, of the sources...this is a most useful book'. English Historical Review 'Abels' Alfred is a remarkable man...made believable, intriguing, relevant... this is a book for anyone who enjoys history.' Times Literary Supplement